Wednesday 26 May 2010

S as in Silver - abc Wednsday - S - Alphabe-Thursday S



Today is Wednesday and once again it is time to play my two favourite alphabet-memes, Mrs. Denise Nesbitt's abc-Wednesday and Mrs. Jenny Matlock's Alphabe-Thursday. This week both memes have the letter "S". Similar to the letter "R", there are lots and lots of S-words to choose from. After so many R-words last week, I have decided to try to limit myself to S-words that are related to my main subject, jewellery-making.



So my S-word is Silver, a precious metal that is widely used to make pieces of jewellery. Here we see a finger ring and a bangel that I made of sterling silver at a beginners' silver-smithing course that I took a year ago. Not very exciting? No. But I learned the basics of how to solder silver.



Until that time when I can afford to invest in silver-smithing equipment there are already good silver smiths who can do the kind of jewellery that I would like to be able to do one day. Take a look at Trudie Davies' ring here. You can order it with the name or words of your choice.



Isn't it pretty? That would be fun to do! Check out Trudie's blog and Etsy shop. Sorry, I can't seen to find a photo of Trudie Davies herself. (Found it!)

This is Trudie Davies

and not Anna!

Here is Trudie's blog button!

Trudie Davies Designs
------
Before I leave the words "solder" and "soldering" I would like to add the word "seashells" and show a series of pictures from Tara Beaulieu of Scarborough Seashells, who has hade a giveway for a cute pair of silver-fitted seashell-earrings. Tara shows her work-process in soldering the silver framwork for the seashells. Take a look:






Take a peek at Tara's Etsy shop here.
------

With the help of more jewellery-blogging friends, I would like to show other examples of how silver can be used. Here we see Karen Stahlecker of WillOaks Studio using silver necklace chains with different coloured stones:





Silver seems to go with everything. Take a closer look at Karen's Etsy shop to find out more about these beautiful neck-adornments.

and not Anna.
------
Another clever and very skilled jewellery artist, who works with silver, is Lotta Knutar. Lotta lives a little closer to me here in Europe than Trudie who lives in Australia or Karen who lives in the United States. Lotta wraps silver wire when she makes her pieces of jewellery. Look at these earrings:



I wonder if you could wear Lotta's oxidised silver wire-wraped earrings with one of Karen's necklaces with the oxidised silver chain?


Visit Lotta Knutars Etsy shop
Silverknuten or check out her English language blog.

This is Lotta Knutar



and not Anna.
------
Now, I'd like to show some silver pieces that I own, but have not made myself. Here are a couple of cute silver bracelets:



And this is a very old pin made out of silver and mountain chrystal, that my mother gave me last year. It was her grandmother's.




Last but not least, I would like to say something about the first round pin with the image of a spider at the top of this post. This beautiful piece of silver was owned by my maternal grandmother.


She wore it a lot and I am very proud to have it now. It is handmade of sterling silver in Sweden 1911 (see the year on the reverse side).


My S-words have been, "Silver", "Solder", "Seashells" and "Spider".

Wasn't that simple?!
Best wishes
Anna

Jenny    Matlock

For more S-words at Mrs. Nesbitt's abcWednesday please click here.
For more S-words at Mrs. Matlock's Alphabe-Thursday please click here.


First Commenter:
Ann of Ann's Snap Edit & Scrap





24 Comments:

Ann said...

Look at all those lovely silver pieces. I just adore those earrings that Lotta made and of course Karen's stuff is always gorgeous. All the pictures are wonderful and it's hard to say which is my favorite.

trudiedavies said...

Hi Anna,

Thank you for featuring my work. And I love the work you have done. Good clean finished work. Jewellery making is just one great little enjoyable journey!

Best wishes
Trudie

Unknown said...

What beautiful pieces! I love the shells with silver. Thanks for stopping by.

Kat said...

I love silver jewelry, and these are some beautiful examples. Love those earrings with the wrapped wire, just beautiful. Thanks for stopping by, I promise those are all real words found in an "obscure words" dictionary online! Kathy

lissa said...

I love silver jewelry, I think there so many ways to create jewlry from silver

thanks for your visit and thanks for introducing some jewlry makers

Unknown said...

Sensational Silver! I am So Salivating over Lotta's earrings.

Lovely pieces, all!

Roger Owen Green said...

Spectacular pieces, especially the scarab.

On behalf of the ABC Wednesday team, thank you!
ROG

laterg8r said...

what gorgeous silver pieces TFS :D

WillOaks Studio said...

Christina--your Silver Selections are Simply Stunning and I So appreciate that you've included my pieces ;-) Your bracelets and heirloom pieces are really wonderful-lucky you!! Karen

~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

Beautiful silver jewelries!

Viki said...

I love all your silver pieces. I especially like the one your mother gave you and your grandmother's. How special they are. Great S post.

Cheryl said...

That pin from your mother is to die for. Thanks for sharing all of your silversmithing friends with us today.

jeff campbell said...

I have for years wanted to learn silversmithing...great choice for your "S" week...Namaste

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

That spider pin is lovely. I'm sure it's very special to you. I was really dismal at metalwork, I probably still am!

Nadeen said...

I love it. But then...

I love silver.

I love gold.

I love diamonds.

I wear silver all the time...literally.
I wear diamonds all the time...literally.
I wear gold all the time...literally.

well all the time except when mowing lawn, working the fields or with livestock. Otherwise, all the time.

Keep on making those beauties!

Natasha in Oz said...

I have only just started wearing silver but I have bought a few pieces for my daughter. Seeing this fabulous S post has inspired me to find some more...for ME!

Best wishes and happy weekend,
Natasha.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous silver jewelry!
I am so in love with your grandmother's brooch!

Jenny said...

Anna, such a rich and beautiful stop on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday's Letter "S"!

You are a wonderful silversmith. My sister took this up briefly but couldn't afford it because she could never part with anything she made!

Thanks for adding our unique links each week to this meme.

You really help make it special and interesting.

A+

Jo said...

lovely jewelry! The last two pieces were gorgeous!

Lin said...

Wow! What beautiful jewelry you have posted here!! I am always impressed with people who can create like that. Nice to see! :)

Reader Wil said...

How very, very beautiful! I like your designs very much! Some of them are really Scandinavian. Sweden starts also with an "S", but I haven't got many digital photos from Sweden, though I love your country!

Christy said...

How blessed you are to have your grandmother's jewelry. It is beautiful. Makes me wonder the story behind the spider.
Splendid post!

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Loving all that eye candy! Silversmithing and soldering is no easy feat!
I love your spider pin too-what a wonderful treasure to have bestowed upon you!

Amanda Lee said...

These are all such lovely pieces! Thanks for introducing us to these jewelry artists, and for sharing pieces from your own collection.

Im Translator

Translation widget