Saturday 16 October 2010

Mrs. Jenny Matlock's Saturday Centus - Week 24

Jenny Matlock

Welcome to week twenty-four of Saturday Centus.

STOP! If you didn't read the end SC's from last week, please take a moment to do so. Just work backwards until you find out where you left off. I feel really bad that the people at the end don't get read.

Thanks!

Now on to regular SC biz...In case you've forgotten...

This is a themed writing meme and a different challenge this week.

You can use UP to 100 words to tell your story. The prompt does not count for your 100 words AND it must be left intact in the body of your story. No illustrations are permitted. Your story can be fact or fiction, just keep it PG, please! I have to look at my Grandchildren with these eyes.

You have the entire week to link your work to the meme and you can link more than one story if you like.

Please display link button or just a hyper-link back to Saturday Centus. Be careful to link your SC URL to the Linky and not just link to your main blog.

I would suggest that since these are so short, if you can't think of a title just use your blog name as the title in the Linky.

Try to visit each one because there are some amazing writers participating in this meme. Since the links are so short they are also a fun and quick read.

Please e-mail me directly with ???'s or ask your question in a comment and I will do my best to get back to you as soon as possible.

This weeks prompt, contribute by the lovely Miss Anna is:

" "Trick or treat!" they shouted as the door opened..."

This is my SC-text:

The candles were lit in the jack-o-lanterns that stood waiting on the top step of the porch. Candy was portioned into paper bags on a tray by the door. The door-bell rang. She glanced in the mirror. Was the make-up alright?
"Trick or treat!" they shouted as the door opened, but said no more as the black-clad witch with the lime-green face and hands held out the tray and gave each child a paper candy-bag.
"Thank you" was quickly said, if at all, as they sped away.

Word count by Word Calc: 78

Best wishes,
Anna

First Commenter:
PJ of
Seens From The Backs Of My Eyelids



To visit more Saturday Centus week 24-posts please go to this site.
Visit my extra two SC 'Hammer-texts' here.

20 Comments:

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Very well captured.

Unknown said...

Very good! I remember dressing up as a freaky witch one year to answer the door...the wee ones were not amused.

Kat said...

Very cute! One year we had a friend offer to sit on our roof wearing a mask, and he would shriek as the kids came up the walk. It was a hoot! I think we scared more parents than kids though. Kat

Deborah said...

Wonderfully done!! :o)

Anonymous said...

So it's not just for kiddies then! Good idea!

Viki said...

Great Centus. I used to love when people came to the door dressed.

gautami tripathy said...

I liked it!

within the pages

Susan Anderson said...

Sounds like her make-up was JUST right. It did the trick, anyway...

=)

Jackie said...

Handing out candy is the best thing of all and dressing up is even better . Great story!

Ames said...

Love this! That's me! I do that for the kids in our hood. You pegged it!~Ames

Ann said...

I guess the make-up was perfect...lol My husband has one of those very scary masks that he likes to wear to pass out candy. One year he growled at a little boy who then shied away from him. He later came back and my husband growled at him again. This time the little boy growled back and took his candy...lol

RockiBottom said...

i would totally dress up to pass out candy if i weren't always out taking my kids trick or treating. one of these days they'll decide they're too old for it i guess

Susannah said...

Nice story! :-)

mine is here - http://panopticulated.blogspot.com/2010/10/neither-trick-nor-treat-saturday-centus.html

Judie said...

I remember dressing up as a witch when my kids were little. Oddly enough, the ones who got scared were the ones who were almost too old to be out trick or treating!.
Good story, Anna!!

Tgoette said...

Nicely done!

Terra said...

My girls don't like those houses, where they dress up for Halloween...they scare them...but hey, it is all part of the fun! Well captured for sure.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! What a perfect story to get in the mood for Halloween!

Teresa

Tina said...

perfect! I might have to try that myself one of the times!

Tina from Mummy Diaries

cj Schlottman said...

Nice take! It's fun when the adults get to pay, too!

Thanks..........cj

Jenny said...

Anna, what a cute use of the prompt.

I could totally visualize that door opening!

It made me feel very Halloween-y!

Im Translator

Translation widget