Thursday 20 May 2010

"R as in Rudabaga, Rabbit and Roses" - abc Wednesday, Round 6-R, Alphabe-Thursday-R

My own photo of one of our Easter rabbits.



Tiny rose brooch made by Maria Gower, London.


A simple pin of a pink rose that my mother gave my daughter.



------
Let's face it. When you are dealing with me, you are dealing with a Swede. And this is what swedes look like! They are (swedes) yellow turnips that are also known as Rudabagas.

This week's letter is "R" and Rudabaga is one of my favourite R-words.

These are mashed turnips/rudabagas courtesy of Wikipedia


"R" is not a rare letter. Today is already Thursday and once again it is almost too late to play Mrs. Denise Nesbitt's abc-Wednesday and Mrs. Jenny Matlock's Alphabe-Thursday.

The letter "R" is one of those letters that I have really been looking forward to. There are so many really interesting R-words. Looking at the animal kingdom, there are rabbits


or rodents such as rats.

There are other furry beasts like raccoons
Raccoon photos from Wikipedia


or even larger animals with hoves like reindeer

There are unfurry creatures like rhinoceros

or reptiles, such as rattlesnakes.

Rattlesnake from Wikipedia


And two last animal-R-words are birds: raven and robin.
Raven and robin from Wikipedia


------
Let us leave the animal kingdom and see what R-words there are to be found in the world of jewellery-making. The obvious and really one and only R-word for adornments is "ring". But since I do not make rings to sell in my shops at this time, I will just show some rings that I happen to own. There is nothing special about these rings other than the fact that my mother gave them to me and now they are a part of my private collection of fun things to wear that help me remember her. (Wow! Another R-word: "remember"!)

Now I would like to show you something of the work of two other jewellery-artists whom I admire. Last week I featured some lovely quartz-items made by Karen Stahlecker. Karen has agreed to let me show a pair earrings that she made with rhodolite garnets.

Aren't they beautiful? For those who might like to purchase these wonderful rhodolite garnet earrings, all you have to do to get to Karen's Etsy shop is to click here or on the image .
This is Karen Stahlecker

and not Anna.
------
The other guest jewellery-artist is Maria Gower (Maria Gower of Maria Gower Designs and www.roseparadise.co.uk/) who made the rose pin in the photo that is third from top of this post. Maria makes incredibly true-to-nature/romantic floral jewellery for high-quality bridal pieces. Check out Maria's Etsy shop here.)

The brilliant detail of her roses is without exaggeration, simply amazing. I have reason to return to Maria's work in the near future.

To visit Maria Gower's shop please click here.

This is Maria Gower

And not Anna!
------
There are some R-words that I would like to add before we part: Russian dolls!

Another R-word is "rune", which is a letter of the alphabet of northern Europe in ancient times. Here is a model of Sweden's largest, most famous runestone, Rokstenen, which is found in the parish of Rok, not too far from our farm. (The o in "Rok" has an umlaut.) Rok is also an R-word! (Read about it in Swedish here. Read about it in English here.)

------
And since it is not the right time of year for roses, I would like to show you some wonderful rhododendon blooms from my neighbours' gardens:


Happy Rs to you all!
Anna
------
P.S.
You have just read about and seen images for the following words that begin with the letter "R": rudabaga, rabbit, rose, rhesus monkey, rodent, rat, racoon, reindeer, red deer, rhinoseros, reptiles, rattlesnake, raven, robin, ring, remember,
rhodolite garnets, Russian dolls, rune, runestone, Rokstenen and rhododenron.

Jenny    Matlock

For more R-words at Mrs. Nesbitt's abcWednesday please click here.
For more R-words at Mrs. Matlock's Alphabe-Thursday please click here.
Take a look at my very last extra R-word here.

First Commenter:
Brimful Curiosities



28 Comments:

Brimful Curiosities said...

Rudabaga would make a great pet name.

GFDINER - Kathy said...

I have the black Russian dolls. Love the jewelry. Have a great week.

Unknown said...

I love the rose crown.

Ann said...

Now that's a lot of R's ...lol Love all the jewelry you've posted so beautiful. As for Rutabaga's I've never tried one. That rune-stone is quite fascinating I'll have to check the link to read more about it.
Have a great day

anthonynorth said...

Some great pictures there.

Amanda Lee said...

Beautiful photos! I must admit, I've never really thought of Swedes as rutabagas before!

Carol said...

It's never too late! Anna is my daughter's name also. You have so many great R words! Rudabaga is the best word for R week. Love all the jewelry. The rhododendron are beautiful. I really like the little rose pin your mother gave daughter.

Avo said...

Right on! This was a rocking R post! : j

Short and Sweet said...

Great "R" post with spectacular photos! Love the jewelry.

Jenny said...

What a wonderful R post!

You are not late at all for Alphabe-Thursday. You have until Friday morning to post! So please don't worry about that.

What a really wonderful random post featuring the letter "R" in all it's glory.

Lovely photos...I am intriqued with many of them...especially the rose wreath...just gorgeous!

Thanks for helping make Alphabe-Thursday so wonderful and diverse!

A+

Viki said...

Wow, you really outdid yourself this week with all the R words and pictures. I don't even know where to start LOL. I'll just say how much I enjoyed them from the animals, jewelry etc. Great R post.

Dina said...

Shalom Anna. Thanks for your visit to Jerusalem Hills.
I love the variety in your post here and especially the rune stone.

Sarah said...

Nice post full of variety. Thanks for sharing these photos.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jo said...

So many interesting and beautiful things in your R post, i especially love the rabbits and rose jewellery!

Maggie said...

The rose brooches are very pretty, great R post.
~Maggie~

Reader Wil said...

What a beautiful post with excellent photos . All of them are great, but your roses and jewelry are gorgeous. Your swedes are great, but they don't look like the handsome and pretty Scandinavians I met. Thanks for your visit.

Roger Owen Green said...

Love the GREAT variety of Rs. Esp. rabiits and the Russian dolls.
On behalf of the ABC Wednesday team, thank you! - ROG

Lin said...

I LOVE your ring collection! And the rose crown. All lovely things here today. Lots of "R" words!

Anonymous said...

Anna -

first of all, love your green ceramic easter bunny!!!!

Second...how fortunate for you to inherit those gorgeous rings from your mommy! I'm so jealous!

Third...I have always admired Karen's work...but this new girl? And those sweet little roses? Fabulous!

Fourth...be sure to follow Lori's blog (link is in my bead soup post) as international participaters are welcome...she will pair you up with someone close to you :) You must join the bead soup party! I think she does it once every couple of months.

Betty said...

You found a great assortment of R words!

Christy said...

I loved it all but my favorite picture was of the rings your mom gave you. What a wonderful way to remember her!

Duni said...

I love roses and so of course I must check out Maria Gower's homepage!
I once had a rose brooch made from porcelain. I seem to have lost it during one of my moves from house to house :(
I also used to have a set of Russian nesting dolls. This post really brought back memories!

Steph said...

Whoa... Your alphabet post this week is like viewing an R page of a gorgeous encyclopedia. I love rabbits; so the image of the leaping one is one of my favorites this week. It's also neat to see your lovely rings which hold such special remembrance. Thank you for the jewellery-artist introductions. I especially like Maria Gower's lovely creations.

Kat said...

What a great collection of R words. Maria Gower's jewelry is just beautiful, so delicate and lifelike! And I love rudabagas! Unfortunately, no one else in my family does lol. Kathy

Unknown said...

I just love the bridal tiara! it is really beautiful.

Unknown said...

Thank you all for leaving such interesting comments. I will reply to each and every one of you in turn. It is going to be a busy week because I have an order to fill. A BIG order.

But in the mean time take a peek at my very last extra R-word:

One last R-word

Best wishes,
Anna

trudiedavies said...

Hi Anna,

Thank you so much for featuring that personlized posie ring from my blog/shop.

Absolutley love that work that you did at silversmithing class.
All you need is a little gas bottle and attachments and you are on your way through a cool journey of learning to work with metal.

I will send you a photo as soon as I organise one:) Cheers Trudie

Im Translator

Translation widget