Friday 19 February 2010

Should children be allowed to have their ears pierced?

I received an interesting comment from Jenny Matlock yesterday on my Alphabe-Thursday "E, as in Earrings"-post yesterday.

In response to my photo with piles of earrings with ear wires, Jenny Matlock writes: "Beautiful earrings. My granddaughters are drooling over some "dangly" earrings but they are so young. Do you make anything suitable for an eight year old?"
Yes I do. I make earrings with screwback-findings for children and young people as well as adults like myself who do not have pierced ears.


I do not approve of piercing the ears of children. I don't even like young teens having pierced ears.
But if I don't approve of piercing the ears of children, why do I make and sell posts and earwires? I do this because there is a market for them, because so many woman want them.
If an adult woman already has pierced ears and would like to buy earwires, I would be a fool to not accommadate her. I sell sterling silver ear wires and think about good hygiene. I never sell used earwires. If a customer would like a specific wire gauge (wire thickness) or metal for her earrings, I try to get it for her.



But I am not in this business to make more people have their ears pierced, or get them to have their daughters' ears pierced. This is why I try to offer findings for wearers who do not have holes in their ears. There are screwbacks and clip-ons and other interesting solutions. No girl or woman should ever need to feel that they have to get their ears pierced. I will redo any design and make them wearable for non-pierced ears.
Here are some earrings with screwback findings (plus one with ear wires for comparison).

Most of these dangle-designs are small and light-weight and could be worn by an eight year old girl.
I can make earrings for your special needs and list them as a reservation in your name on my Etsy shop. Please tell me what colour and style you think your granddaughters would like. Click
here to get to my Etsy shop, AnnasAdornments.
Thank you for asking, Jenny.
Best wishes,
Anna

6 Comments:

Ann said...

I let my daughter get her ears pierced when she was old enough to take care of them herself. I think she may have been around 12. I never liked seeing babies with pierced ears. I always thought that was sort of dangerous.

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting again, Ann.
I sure agree with you about not liking babies with pierced ears! I feel that a baby is not given the chance to decide for herself.

But when it comes to older children, maybe it depends upon the individual girl. Your daughter probably really wanted to have it done and could take care of it herself.

Anna

BeadedTail said...

Since my kids have fur, I hadn't thought of making earrings for little girls to wear with the screwback findings. That's a really good idea for anyone with non-pierced ears. All of your earrings are lovely by the way and your daughter is a wonderful model!

jaydubblah said...

Hi Anna, thanks for your comment. I am pleased to find someone else who knows about the screw fittings, they were common when I was a child but I never see them in the shops in the UK. I buy them by the packet and then I can buy dangly earrings and transfer them. People don't realise that my ears are not pierced so they buy wired earrings for me sometimes and I can't wear them if they are not dangly ones as the clips always pinch so bad. How have you found Etsy, have you been doing it long. I am considering giving it a go

Lin said...

I never pushed Em to get her ears pierced, but when she was brave enough to do it and take care of her ears and earrings on her own, I was willing to take her. The girls really like to have fun earrings, so I think that is why they do it. It really doesn't hurt but for a day or two, so I don't think it is harmful. I would think the clip-ons would hurt more, but I don't know. I LOVE the cherry earrings--very cute!

Unknown said...

Thank you for your input Lin. Not having pierced ears myself I really don't know how it feels or how it works. It must work for enough girls and women to get them to do it. And sure, alot of the earrings are really cute too. Since it only requires a simple hook, they are actually cheaper findings than the screw fittings that I would wear.

But my point is, that I would like to offer an alternative. Maybe it is a question of tradition. For me, I just think there is something a little barbaric about all kinds of body-piercing and tatooing. I know this is just my humble opinion, but I prefer to be able to wash off my make-up and take off my jewellery before I go to sleep at night. Maybe it is the image of an old woman that I met by chance in a poorer neighbourhood some twenty-five years ago who had one of her ear lobes hanging in two separate halves, having met with some kind of calamity where her earwire was torn through her earlobe. She hadn't been wearing clip-ons or screwback findings, but I never asked her what had happened.

Maybe this is a mindset I have because I am the granddaughter of an oral-surgeon, because I am not too keen on unnecessary cosmetic surgery either, but I am all for corrective plastic surgery after cancer operations or for persons who have been badly burned or injured in an automobile accident or who are born with deformities that make their lives difficult.

I am merely saying that I would like to offer girls and women a choice. I don't think that are given an alterntive, if you look at what kind of earrings sold in most retail jewellery shops.

Im Translator

Translation widget