Wednesday 17 November 2010

I is for Inventor - Mrs. Jenny Matlock's Alphabe-Thursday - I


Photo Copyright Christina Wigren

Here with the children, Erik and Elisabet, is a picture of Forse Gnista (born June 18th, 1932), artist, allround designer, interior architect/designer, industrial designer, inventor and one of the best friends we have. This photo was taken around the time of Elisabet's sixth birthday in May of this year (2010).

Photos Copyright Christina Wigren / Design Copyright Forsse Gnista

Why am I showing a photo of Forse Gnista? This is because I am linking to Mrs. Jenny Matlock's Alphabe-Thursday, Round 2, and this week's letter is 'I'. My I-words are inventor, inventive, invention and invent. Forse Gnista is an amazing inventor.

Photos Copyright Christina Wigren / Design Copyright Forsse Gnista

One of Forse's many designs/inventions is a plastic stackable cup with a unique hook-like handle, which he designed by first carving it out of wood with a lathe!


Photos Copyright Christina Wigren / Design Copyright Forsse Gnista

This cup has been around since it first came on the market in the 1950s and is still sold and used today everywhere in Sweden.

Photos Copyright Christina Wigren / Design Copyright Forsse Gnista

It is an everyday item that most people use without giving it much thought. But it is truly a wonderful and elegant invention. (Other related I-words are innovation, innovative, ingenious and intuitive.)
Best wishes,
Anna

Just for a change, I am giving free extra links to the first three commenters:
Commenter # one:
JJ Botta of
The Disconnected Writer



Commenter # two:
Mary of
Home is Where the Boat is



Commenter # three:
JDaniel4's Mom
Reviews and Giveaways

To visit other posts about words that begin with the letter 'I' please click here.

Jenny Matlock

19 Comments:

Mary said...

What a cute little cup...I've never seen these. Amazing that he carved it out of wood first :-)

Unknown said...

This would be great for JDaniel. I bet the wooden one is an amazing work of art.

EG CameraGirl said...

I like the bright colours! Neat invention.

Anonymous said...

That is such a great invention!

Teresa

Ann said...

what a unique design that is for the cup. that would make for a much neater cupboard.

Judie said...

What a great invention? Are they only available in Sweden?

Lola said...

Love the bright colours - are they only available in Sweden?

XOXO Lola:)

Unknown said...

That is so cool! Wow, I think it's really neat to know someone who is an amazing and creative inventor. Those are fun looking cups and very unique! Lucky you for know the guy who invented it!

Tracy said...

how wonderful to know a designer love the cups

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

That's creative, love your inventions.
keep it up.

Sandra Rose Hughes said...

How interesting. I have seen these cups before, but never gave them a second thought. I like hearing the history of things.

Petula said...

That cup is really cool! What a fab entry for I.

Terra said...

Very cool post and invention. Not sure we have those here...maybe. But still, very cool.

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Inventive post!

I've never seen those cups, but they are pretty cute with all those great colors.

Thanks for stopping by my blog, I am sending a little prayer for you today and a hug...hang in there sweetie!

Susan Anderson said...

I would love to see the original wooden cup. These colorful ones are wonderful. And how nice to be able to stack them!

=)

Anonymous said...

Wonderfull, I've never seen this before @indonesian market


You can also visit me here;
Nails Art Gallery
Speakers reviews
Car Audio System
Basic Medical Sciences
Harry Potter Set
Sophie The Giraffe
Pioneer AVICX920bt
Crocs Shoes Showroom
Toko Online Alat Medis
fraggle-rock Collections

Pondside said...

Like so many things that appear simple and child like, this cup design must have taken incredible thought and work.

Jenny said...

Anna, what a fascinating stop on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday's letter "I"!

I had to laugh at your daughter in her birthday picture. She looked quite disinterested in her cake (which was lovely, BTW!)

Those cups are really something! I love how clean, yet elegant, the lines are.

Thanks for linking.

I always enjoy visiting you.

A+

Anonymous said...

just catching up here on sunday
i've seen this cup and it's very clever
elisabet looks so bored :)
have a great week

~victoria~

Im Translator

Translation widget