Saturday 13 March 2010

PhotoHunt-Theme # 204 "Spiral", also "Tourist in my own town # 1"

Tourist in my own town #1


For this week's PhotoHunt theme # 204, "Spiral", I would like to show a large aluminium sculpture called "Spiral Gesture" (1954-61), by the Swedish artist Arne Jones (1914-1976).

This sculpture is to be found standing in front of Norrkoping's Art Museum.

According to the description given in the museum's folder on their sculpture-garden:
The sculpture was inspired by an article Jones read on the development of the screw; with its inner and outer spirals. The sculpture's inner spiral seems to move slowly upwards; its rotation caused by the force of the water. The controversy which surrounded the sculpture (Too abstract! Too expensive! etc. ) was quickly settled and Spiral Gesture is now a symbol of the city.
(Written by Bia Mankell, translated and edited by Debbie Thompson.)

A symbol for the city of Norrkoping? Perhaps. There is a shopping center called "Spiralen" (The Spiral), named after the sculpture, and it is not very far from the art museum.


If you look up the street to the right from where we are standing now in front of the the galleria, you could probably see the sculpture!


Happy Weekend
Anna

(P.S. This is the first of my own series, "Tourist in my own town", about what to see in Norrkoping. When the weather gets a little warmer I'll have more to show. Please note the piles of snow in these photos. This little photo excursion probably contributed to my present state with a sore throat and fever. Please forgive me for not being a very good commenter on other blogs right now.)


To see other posts please click here.
First Commenter: Ann of Ann's Snap Edit & Scrap








19 Comments:

Ann said...

Very cool sculpture and interesting info to go with it. I love the idea of your new series, can't wait to see more.

Unknown said...

Thanks Ann,
It warms the heart to read those words!
Hugs,
Anna

Petula said...

Very cool and interesting.

eastcoastlife said...

That's a cool sculpture! I wish for some of the snow in your town, it's too hot here in my country.

Have a lovely week ahead!

jams o donnell said...

Nice take on the theme. I like that the mal is named after a fine sculpture. Happy weekend

Randi said...

Det är verkligen en vacker och spännande design på skulpturen och så läckert att centrumet är uppkallad av kulturmärket. Det borde man göra oftare.
Önskar dig en riktigt skön helg!
Kram Randi

Alice Audrey said...

What a wild sculpture/logo.

julie said...

Cool entry, literally and figuratively :D

take care :)

Sparkle said...

I really like that sculpture! It's quite graceful. I would like to know why it took the artist 7 years to make it - it took him as long as I am old!

ipanema said...

great take on the theme! :)

bing said...

very apt for the theme. must be interesting watching it close.

CRIZ LAI said...

I love all the curves there. Nice :)

http://crizcats.blogspot.com/

healingmagichands said...

I love that sculpture, and find it interesting that it could ever inspire controversy. Funny what people find to argue about, isn't it?

http://healingmagichands.wordpress.com/2010/03/13/photohunt-spirals/

Mrs. Mecomber said...

I hope you feel better very soon.
Great photos!! I look forward to more. Have a blessed weekend and a speedy recovery.

YTSL said...

I enjoy playing tourist in my own town. Seems that you do too. :)

The Florida Furkids said...

That's a lovely sculpture - thanks for sharing.

Sniffie and the Florida Furkids

Liz said...

Very cool photos! Happy Sunday. :)

Lisa said...

Lovely -- perfect for the theme!

Anonymous said...

What an interesting sculpture! You should come to New York to see Sculpture Park...it's a bunch of really cool sculptures hidden all over the woods....very cool...

Im Translator

Translation widget